Explaining National Fashion Related Courses and Qualifications


Fashion education around the world uses different terminology to describe teaching staff and the institutions where courses are taught. The length and types of courses and qualifications also vary and not all countries offer the same subjects within fashion education. These variations have meant that it is impossible to use consistent language throughout this fashion educators’ manual. To compensate, this article compiled by experts in each country, is intended to distinguish the different terminology and clarify the systems

In the United States, individuals in charge of instruction at colleges and universities are generally referred to as instructors or professors, depending on their educational achievements and/or relationship with the institution. Instructors are assigned to teach certain classes and their primary role is teaching.More info about Weight Loss Hypnosis

Instructors may or may not have education beyond the undergraduate/baccalaureate degree level, but increasingly they do hold a master’s degree at minimum. They may be hired to teach one class or a number of classes. Professors teach but typically have additional responsibilities, including research or other forms of scholarship where new knowledge is created and disseminated, as well as services that contribute to governing their unit or university.Please visit here for information about Software Testing

Professors almost always hold a terminal degree, which for the apparel/fashion field is a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree. Some may hold a terminal degree from another field (e.g. some apparel design faculty hold the Master of Fine Arts degree, some professors may hold a Doctor of Education (EdD) degree

Dutch HBO (Hoger Beroeps Onderwijs) schools, which teach at the polytechnic level, the term lecturer is used for teaching professionals

In Polish vocational schools and technical schools, the term teacher is used. In universities and colleges it’s lecturer and tutor (but not often). The distinction between universities, colleges and other schools offering higher education is a bit more complicated in Poland, but for all of them we usually say lecturer. Educator is not used very much. It relates mostly to teacher trainers (people who train teachers).

In the UK, there are no rules to this nomenclature: fashion related courses can exist at both further education and higher education levels. Most institutions at HE level are called universities, but there are some art and design specific centres that are called Specialist Arts Institutions.


Some of these Specialist Arts Institutions are HEI’s (higher education institutions), e.g. Arts Institute Bournemouth; and some are FEIs (FE institutions), e.g. Cleveland College of Art and Design, Leeds College of Art and Design. Most FE institutions are called colleges. [Editor’s note: Some further educational institutions offer higher education

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button